Hong Kong’s top prosecutor, David Leung, has ruled out setting up an independent panel under the Department of Justice to deal with charges related to the ongoing anti-extradition bill protests and dismissed reports on Thursday that he has proposed such a move.

Legal sector lawmaker Dennis Kwok had earlier quoted sources as saying that Leung, the Director of Public Prosecutions, put the idea to the Secretary for Justice, Teresa Cheng, but was rejected.

Responding to reporters, Leung said there’s no need for the department to set up such a committee.

“Every case… we adhere to the prosecution code, sufficiency of evidence so as to assess whether there’s a reasonable prospect of a conviction and whether it’s in public interests to prosecute. We always adhere to that irrespective to the type of cases and the background of the defendants,” he said.

He was asked if there’s a conflict of interests if Cheng is involved in making prosecution decisions involving the protesters, given she’s the one who helped promote the extradition bill before it was shelved in June.

“If a particular prosecutor considers himself or herself to be either having a conflict of interests, he or she will not be involved in the prosecution decision. But I can’t comment on individual cases whether a particular person or at which level a prosecution decision is made,” he said.

Leung also dismissed claims that prosecutors are under political pressure when dealing with charges related to recent protests.

A group of anonymous public prosecutors issued an open letter last month accusing the justice secretary of insisting on laying charges against protesters even when there wasn’t sufficient evidence or a reasonable prospect of a conviction.

The letter also accused Leung of failing to be a gatekeeper.

Leung said he’s tried his best to be a fair prosecutor in leading his team.