US President Donald Trump confirmed on Friday that steep new tariffs on Chinese goods will kick in on Sunday and said that his economic pressure is forcing Beijing to take a more moderate line in Hong Kong.

“They’re on,” Trump told reporters, two days before the levies on billions of dollars’ worth of Chinese imports are set to rise in the latest escalation of the trade war between the world’s two biggest economies.

Trump also said that US economic pressure on China was responsible for preventing the authorities from carrying out a harsher crackdown against pro-democracy demonstrators in Hong Kong.

“Because of what I’m doing with trade that’s really keeping down the temperature,” he said at the White House.

Trump’s tough line – and his claim that events in Hong Kong are linked to the trade war – follows his insistence over the last week that Chinese negotiators are keener than ever to strike a deal.

However, despite repeated hints that high-level communications have been reopened on the standoff, White House officials have sparked skepticism by failing to provide details of those reported talks.

His confirmation that the new tariffs will go ahead underlines the reality that the two sides remain at loggerheads.

His comments on Hong Kong could touch political nerves in Beijing, which bristles at anything it sees as outside interference in the SAR.

Asked if he saw a connection between the way Beijing responds to the unrest and the difficulties their economy faces under US pressure, Trump said: “I do, I do.”

“If it weren’t for the trade talks Hong Kong would be in much more trouble,” he said, reiterating a call for Beijing to “handle it in a humane fashion.” (AFP)