A man who spearheaded an anti-triad protest in Yuen Long last month says he was attacked by a group of men on Thursday afternoon, in the second apparent assault on anti-extradition rally organisers in one day.

The attack on Max Chung came hours after the convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front, Jimmy Sham, was also allegedly assaulted by two masked men armed with a baseball bat and a metal rod. Sham – who has organised multiple mass rallies as part of the ongoing anti-extradition protests – was unhurt, but a friend suffered arm injuries after reportedly taking several blows from the bat-wielding man.

Chung said he was attacked by four men wielding metal rods and umbrellas, while he was giving an interview to a reporter on the bank of the Lam Tsuen River in Tai Po.

He said he crouched down and wrapped his arms around his head in a defensive position to try to protect himself, as one man rained down blows upon him, and the reporter yelled in vain at the attacker to stop.

He said his arms and back took the brunt of the beating, and his head was only struck once.

The reporter, from Truth Media Hong Kong, said he also came under attack and suffered injuries to his mouth and arm.

Chung later told reporters he tried but failed to subdue the attacker, who fled with the three other men.

He said this was “obviously a planned attack” that he believes the people of Hong Kong cannot accept. Chung added that he thinks this is not an isolated incident, saying many other rally organisers have also either been threatened or have come under attack.

Chung had just reported to the nearby Tai Po police station as part of his bail conditions following his arrest on suspicion of organising an unlawful rally in Yuen Long on July 27. The protest was held in response to the indiscriminate attack on protesters and commuters in and around the Yuen Long MTR station by a mob of white-shirted men the week before.

He said he was freed unconditionally, and had just agreed to an interview with a reporter when he came under attack.

Truth Media Hong Kong issued a statement condemning the attack, and appealed to police to catch the assailants as quickly as possible.